Quick + Simple Bean Quesadillas
My days are spent at home with my wild and beautiful 20 month old son, Ryder. When it comes to lunch time, something quick, easy and healthy is what it’s all about. Oh, and must be toddler approved too, duh!
I love being creative in the kitchen and coming up with simple recipes using every day items. I’ve always been a minimalist at heart and love to use up everything I have in the fridge so food doesn’t go to waste.
I came up with this recipe one day when I didn’t have a lot of food left in the fridge and a hungry toddler hanging off my leg. I love how flexible and versatile this recipe is. You can substitute so many different ingredients depending what you have at home. Below is a rough guideline for you to use. Feel free to substitute ingredients based on likes and what you have available in your house that day!
2 cups of cooked beans (black beans or chickpeas)
Something green (cilantro, parsley or spinach)
Something cheesy (feta, mozzarella, white cheddar or nutritional yeast for dairy-free option)
Spices (garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, S & P)
1. Chop onion, greens, tomatoes and place in large mixing bowl.
2. Add beans, cheese and spices to mixing bowl and use a large fork to mash everything together.
3. Cut tortilla in half and press the bean mixture on bottom half and place top half back on. Continue with rest of bean mixture.
4. Heat avocado oil in frying pan and quesadilla in. Cook until both sides are golden brown and cheese is melted. I like to add more oil when you flip to keep the tortilla golden and flaky.
5. Serve with a side of avocado, hot sauce, salsa or sour cream!
Blog post written by: Lise Martens